Is the practice of promoting and protecting the health of the population using knowledge from nursing, social and public health sciences.
- American Public Health Association, PHN Section, 1996
Public Health Nursing Practice
- Focuses on entire populations
- Reflects community priorities and needs
- Establishes caring relationships with the communities, families, individuals and systems that comprise the populations Public Health Nurses serve
- Grounded in social justice, compassion, sensitivity to diversity, and respect for the worth of all people, especially the vulnerable
- Encompasses mental, physical, emotional, social, spiritual, and environmental aspects of health
- Promotes health through strategies driven by epidemiological evidence
- Collaborates with community resources to achieve those strategies, but can and will work alone if necessary
- Derives its authority for independent action from the Nurse Practice Act
- Minnesota Department of Health Center For Public Health Nursing Revised 2004
Public Health Nursing Services provided in Chippewa County include:
- Visits to promote health and prevent disease throughout the life spanpublichealthnursing
- Care Coordination to connect individuals and families to needed services
- Communicable disease prevention and control
- Health education presentations
- Health Clinics
To name only a few.....
Contact the health department to request more information on public health nursing services or to request to be contacted by a public health nurse. Call (715)726-7900 or 1-800-400-3678 and ask for the Public Health Intake Nurse.