Highway FAQs

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
  • Where can I find more information on Wisconsin road conditions?

    The Wisconsin Department of Transportation (DOT) has the 511 website.  This website contains great information on road conditions and traffic that is useful in making travel plans.  Also on the website are up-to-date traffic cameras that show roadway conditions.
  • Is this where I renew my driver's license?

    Driver licensing is administered by the Wisconsin Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).  Please contact them at 1-800-924-3470 or visit their website.
  • What happens to deer carcasses on the highways?

    The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources contracts with an independent contractor for removal of deer carcasses on the State & Federal Highway systems.  When Highway Department staff spot a deer carcass on these highways, the independent contractor is notified.  The carcasses are removed and transported by the contractor to an approved disposal site.

    For all County Highways, the Chippewa County Highway Department does not remove deer carcasses unless they are a hazard to the traveling public.

  • What happens if my mailbox is damaged by a snow plow?

    In accordance with Section 86.04 of the Wisconsin Statutes, it is the land owner's or occupant's obligation to repair or replace damaged mailboxes.  More information on this can be found on our Mailbox Standards link.

  • What is the state's snow plowing policy?

    Please follow the below link to the Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) website:

    WisDOT Snowplowing FAQ's 

  • Can I hire the Highway Department to perform work on my private property?

    The Highway Department contracts with many municipalities in Chippewa County. However, the Highway Department, by law, is not allowed to perform hired work for the public.
  • Can I purchase supplies from the Highway Department?

    The Highway Department sells a variety of supplies to municipalities throughout Chippewa County. Unfortunately, the Highway Department cannot sell supplies to private contractors or the public.
  • What if I need to contact the Highway Department after working hours?

    The Chippewa County Sheriff’s Department has contact information for on-call Highway Department supervisors at all times. Please call the dispatch center at (715) 726-7701 with concerns related to safety on state/county highways and they will contact Highway Department staff. For concerns that are not urgent, please contact the Chippewa County Highway Department at (715) 726-7914 during normal business hours.