Marriage Licenses

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Chippewa County Clerk's Office

711 N. Bridge St. Room 109
Chippewa Falls, WI 54729
Hours:  8:00 a.m. -  4:00 p.m. (Closed Weekends and Holidays)  

License Fee:  $75.00
Waiver Fee:  $10.00
- The five day waiting period may be waived for good cause (i.e. out-of-state applicants, military, serious illness) by the County Clerk for an additional $10.00. The applicants will be required to fill out an application stating the reason for the waiver.  Once the waiver is approved by the County Clerk, the license can be issued immediately following application.

Where to Apply?  If you are a Wisconsin resident, you apply in the County that you live in.  The license may be used in any county in the State of Wisconsin. If the bride and groom live in different counties, application can be made in either county. If both applicants live out-of-state, but are getting married in Chippewa County, then the license would be purchased in Chippewa County.

When do we apply? The license is valid for 30 days, after the 5 day waiting period. Example: if a license is purchased on the 10th, it would have an issue date of the 16th, and would be valid for 30 days after that. The waiting period may be waived in certain circumstances or by approval of the County Clerk.  Please note:  Beginning May 18, 2015, you MUST have a marriage date when you apply.

What do we need to bring?

Both applicants should appear at time of application and present the following documents:

  • Record of Birth - Must have a certified birth certificate.  If you were born in Wisconsin, you can purchase a copy from the Register of Deeds.
  • Proof of Residence - A Driver's License, ID Card, or other form giving place of residence. (Where residence has last been established for a period of 30 days or more). If driver's licenses are not current, bring a copy of a bill that shows where your current address has been for the last 30 days.
  •  Social Security Number (Do not have to have the actual card)
  •  A copy of the divorce judgment, annulment paper, or a death certificate must be presented for the last previous marriage, if any applicant has been married before.

  • Name and contact information (address, e-mail address, and/or phone number) of your officiant.
  • Cash, check or money order for payment. Credit cards are now accepted, but an additional fee applies to their use.


How do I change my name?   Once your license is filed in the county you were married in, which is usually done by the officiant within 3 days of the ceremony, you will need to apply and purchase a certified copy of your marriage certificate. You can now request a copy of the marriage certificate in ANY county in Wisconsin Once you receive your certified copy, take that along with your birth certificate and driver's license to the Social Security Office. The closest Social Security Office is located at 4120 Oakwood Hills Pkwy, Eau Claire, WI 54701.

*Keep in mind, just by purchasing a marriage license, it will not automatically get you a certified copy of the marriage certificate.

Applications to obtain a marriage certificate from Chippewa County and Social Security applications are also given at the time of purchasing your marriage license. 

A printable brochure on how to obtain a marriage license is located in our Marriage License Brochure [PDF]

It is illegal to make photocopies of a Marriage Certificate/License!


Minimum Age To Marry
Males and females - 18 years of age.

Individuals who are 16 or 17 years of age will need BOTH parents' consent or guardian's consent is required.

Males or females under 16 cannot marry under any circumstances. A Court can no longer grant special permission in such cases.

Witnesses to the Marriage
Both witnesses must be 18 years of age or over.

Persons Who May Not Marry
Blood relatives - nearer of kin than second cousins, except when the female is 55 years or older.

Any person who has not been legally divorced in this state or any other state for a period of six (6) months.

A marriage may not be contracted if either party has such want of understanding as renders him/her incapable of assenting to marriage (Section 765.03(1), Wis. Stats.)

Courthouse Ceremonies


Marriages performed at the courthouse by any of the three judges are free of charge. Please call 715-726-7781 or 715-726-7783 to make an appointment. (Marriage license fee still applies)

*Judges will not marry anyone under the age of 18.

Court Commissioners who perform marriages (for a fee) and will travel are:

Robert Ferg 715-723-4443
Kari S. Hoel
Ben Lane
Dave Raihle Jr.

Chapter 765, Wisconsin Statutes [PDF]

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer