Who do I contact if I have questions about jury duty?
As a juror, you will be performing one of the highest duties in our democratic system.
How did I get Chosen?
Jurors are randomly selected from the State of Wisconsin Department of Transportation, Division of Motor Vehicles driver’s license and identification lists.
- You must be a United States citizen
- You must be a Chippewa County Resident
- You must be at least 18 years of age
- You have not been summoned for jury duty for at least 4 years
- You must understand the English language
- If convicted of a felony, your civil rights must be restored
- Notify your employer. Employers must grant employees a leave of absence for jury service per Wisconsin Statute 756.255
- Call 715-726-7785 or 1-800-746-4439 or check the website juror.wicourts.gov the night before the trial you are assigned to.
- Report promptly at the time stated on the message.
- Dress – avoid halter/tank tops, offensive slogans - no hats
- Bring reading material if you wish. There is a break between orientation and the trial.
- If you have special dietary needs you may bring your own meal, otherwise lunch will be provided.
- Contact the Jury Clerk as soon as possible
- A letter to the Judge may be necessary
- If it’s a day of trial emergency, call the jury clerk and leave a message with your phone number and name.
What should I know about being a juror?
- Listen and observe
- Be open-minded
- Don’t discuss the case
- Report problems to the court
What if there's bad weather?
- This is rare. Listen to WAXX 104.5 FM or WAYY 790 AM after 7:00 am.
- Only if a trial cancels will we call these two stations and air the cancelation.
How do I get paid?
- Jurors are paid $12.50 for half day of service/$25.00 for a full day and .51 per mile.
- Once jury service is completed for the month, payment is processed by the Clerk of Courts Office and the Chippewa County Finance Department. Checks will be mailed to your home address.
What if I have special needs?
- We will accommodate individuals with qualified disabilities
- Hearing devices are available – just let us know.