Disability Compensation is a tax free monetary benefit paid to Veterans with disabilities that are the result of a disease or injury incurred or aggravated during active military service. Compensation may also be paid for post-service disabilities that are considered related or secondary to disabilities occurring in service and for disabilities presumed to be related to circumstances of military service, even though they may arise after service. Generally, the degrees of disability specified are also designed to compensate for considerable loss of working time from exacerbation or illnesses


  • Service in the Uniformed Services on active duty, OR

  • Active duty for training, OR

  • Inactive duty training, AND

  • You were discharged under other than dishonorable conditions, AND

  • You are at least 10% disabled by an injury or disease that was incurred in or aggravated during active duty or active duty for training, or inactive duty training

Note: If you were on inactive duty for training, the disability must have resulted from injury, heart attack, or stroke.

Evidence Required

  • Medical evidence of a current physical or mental disability, AND

  • Evidence of a relationship between your disability and an injury, disease, or event in military service. Medical records or medical opinions are required to establish this relationship.

Note: Under certain circumstances, VA may conclude that certain current disabilities were caused by service, even if there is no specific evidence proving this in your particular claim. The cause of a disability is presumed for the following Veterans who have certain diseases.

Presumed Disability

  • Former prisoners of war

  • Veterans who have certain chronic or tropical diseases that become evident within a specific period of time after discharge from service

  • Veterans who were exposed to ionizing radiation, mustard gas, or Lewisite while in service

  • Veterans who were exposed to certain herbicides, such as by serving in Vietnam

  • Veterans who served in Southwest Asia during the Gulf War


How to Apply

  • If you’re a Chippewa County resident, call our office to schedule an appointment.