Vulnerable Adults and Elders at Risk

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
Adult Protective Services

Chippewa County is responsible for providing Adult Protective Services to the residents of Chippewa County. Adult Protective Services investigates allegations of abuse to Adults at risk and Elder Adults at risk.

Referrals for investigations of protective services are received from community agenies, family members, and law enforcement.

Protective service needs may include emergency situations such as housing issues, a medical crisis, a need for food or assistance with heating and energy costs.

Staff will provide links to resources to help keep vulnerable adults safely independent in their homes. This may include services from nutrition programs, medical providers, and agencies that provide in home services.

Elder adult at risk is legally defined as a person age 60 or older who has experienced, is currently experiencing, or is at risk of experiencing abuse, neglect, self-neglect, or financial exploitation.

Adult at risk is legally defined as any adult who has a physical or mental condition that substantially impairs his or her ability to care for his or her needs who has experienced, is currently experiencing, or is at risk of experiencing abuse, neglect, or financial exploitation.

To make an APS referral, please call 715-726-7788 and choose Option 3, or e-mail


Guardianship and Protective Placement

Chippewa County also provides assistance with guardianships and protective placements for residents of Chippewa County. Financial guidelines may apply to receive assistance for these services Guardianship is a relationship created by a court between an individual (called a "ward") who the court has determined to be incompetent and an individual or organization (called either the "guardian of the person," the "guardian of the estate," or both) who the court authorizes to make personal and medical decisions and/or financial decisions on behalf of the ward.

The court can also order a protective placement when it is necessary for the ward’s safety and well being. The ward might be protectively placed in a supervised apartment, an assisted living situation, an adult family home, or a nursing home. The placement may be temporary.