Disability Benefits

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Disability Benefit Specialist

The Disability Benefit Specialists (DBS) provides information, counseling & assistance regarding public & private benefit programs to anyone 18 to 59 with a disability (physical, developmental, mental health and/or substance abuse issues).


Contact: Kay Hebert, Disability Benefit Specialist


Call:    715-720-2503


How can a DBS Help Me?

The Specialist can provide accurate information on public & private benefits, as well as provide resources, referrals, assistance & support on other matters. Please visit our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) below to get answers you may be looking for.

If you are signed on as a Client, the DBS can:

  • Help you compare Medicare options, including Part D (Prescription) Plans
  • Advocate & assist for obtaining Social Security Disability benefits
  • Help determine which programs you may be entitled to by completing a “benefit checkup”


Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Q: Who will help me choose a Medicare Part D (Prescription Drug) Plan?

A. The Disability Benefit Specialist can assist if you’re new to Medicare or during Open Enrollment (October 15 –December 7). The DBS can also determine if you’re eligible for a Special Enrollment Period. Another resource would be to contact 1-800-MEDICARE or visit

Q: Is there any financial assistance for help paying my Medicare costs?

A. Medicare beneficiaries may qualify for Extra Help with their Medicare prescription drug plan costs. The Extra Help is estimated to be worth about $4,000 per year. To qualify for the Extra Help, a person must be receiving Medicare & have limited resources and income. You should apply through both the options listed below:

1) Call Great Rivers Consortium 1-888-283-0012.

2) Call Social Security 1-866-815-2924, or go online.

Q: I need help with my living situation – What resources are available to me?

A. Housing Authority provides a variety of programs and services, including referrals to other available resources.

Q. Am I eligible for Medical Assistance/BadgerCare, or FoodShare?

A. You can apply online or call Great Rivers Consortium (1-888-283-0012). You will may need to submit proof of your income, vehicles, and other items to determine eligibility.

If you need to complete a renewal or submit documents, you can use the new MyACCESS mobile app (download on the App Store and Google Play). It will give you notifications when you have deadlines to help make sure you never have a gap in benefits


Q. If I start working again, how will it impact the financial eligibility for public


A. The Disability Benefit Specialist can refer you to appropriate resources to obtain accurate & current information on the programs’ income limits.

  • Social Security's Ticket to Work Program, please call 1-866-968-784.
  • Medicaid Programs, please call Great Rivers Consortium 1-888-283-0012.


Social Security FAQs

SSA steps

Q. Does the Disability Benefit Specialist help people apply for Disability?

A. The DBS may assist, depending on several factors. The DBS will first schedule an educational appointment with you to explain the process. If a person's claim ends up going to a Hearing, the Specialist can provide a list of attorneys to contact.

Q. How do I apply for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI)?

A. You can apply directly through Social Security using any 3 of the following methods:

  1. Online - Prompts you to create a mySSA account if you don't already have one
  2. Phone application by calling the Eau Claire SSA Office 1-866-815-2924
    • Hours: Mon, Tue, Thu, Fri 9:00-4:00 / Wed 9:00-12:00.
  3. In-person appointment by calling the Eau Claire SSA Office 1-866-815-2924 to schedule

Q. How does a person qualify for Social Security Disability Insurance?

A. First, a person must have worked in jobs covered by Social Security. Then Social Security reviews a “5 step” process to determine if you qualify:

1) Are you working?

2) Is your condition “severe”?

3) Is your condition found in the list of disabling conditions?

4) Can you do the work you did previously?

5) Can you do any other type of work?

Q. I received paperwork from Social Security – I don’t know how to start filling it out. Help?

A. Unfortunately, there is no known resources that will just help you fill out Social Security paperwork. You must complete it the best that you can. Regarding Social Security Disability, just fill out the paperwork with the following statement in mind: “A Social Security Disability case is NOT about a person’s medical problems. Instead, the case is about the effect those medical problems have on the person’s ability to work.”

Q. How long will it take to get my Social Security Disability benefits after I apply?

A. After the initial application is submitted, it currently takes about 3-5 months for Social Security to make their decision. If denied and you choose to appeal the decision, it will take another 3-5 months. If denied again and you choose to appeal once more, it takes 1-2 years to get a Hearing with a Judge.

It is important to continue going to the doctor during this process to document your history of your condition(s). Update Social Security of any new records or changes. If you are denied, you can use your most recent medical evidence (that SSA hasn’t reviewed) to support your claim that you are disabled and unable to work.

Q. How much money would I be entitled to if I am determined Disabled under Social Security?

A. To get a personalized information, go online and create a mySocialSecurity account to view your detailed report.