Tenant Based Rental Assistance

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option


We administer the Tenant Based Rental Assistance (TBRA) program to help low income tenants afford a decent rental unit in the private housing market. Participants pay a portion of the rent based on their income and the Housing Authority pays the rest.

Participants should be aware that the Authority is required to participate in the Wisconsin Homeless Management Information System (HMIS). For a complete disclosure of the information that is collected, please read the Consumer Notice.

CASE MANAGEMENT                                                                              United way cropped

Program participants work with a case manager for supportive services.  The case manager works with the participant to solve problems that lead to the housing emergency.


Applications are available at the Housing Authority office located in Room #14 of the Chippewa County Courthouse at 711 N. Bridge Street, Chippewa Falls, WI 54729.

Office hours are 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday thru Friday.

Applications will not be mailed.  If you are physically unable to come into the office, arrangements can be made for a Housing Authority staff member to come to your home.  To request an appointment, call 715-726-7933 ext. 1.


  • Renter households must be low income and must be experiencing a housing emergency.
  • You cannot have drug related or violent criminal activity for the last three years.
  • You cannot be on the State or Federal Sex Offender Registry list.
  • You cannot have a debt to a Public Housing Authority.

The total household gross income must be less than the following amounts:
Income Limits Table TBRA REV3

  • Income is used for everyone 18 and over that lives in the unit.
  • Your gross (before taxes) income is used.
  • Gifts/regular payments given or made on your behalf are counted as income.

The amount of rent a participant pays is based on their income.  Generally participants will pay about 30% of their income for rent.

Participants choose their own apartment.  You will be able to receive assistance in your chosen rental unit if:
1) The landlord is willing to participate in the program, and

2) The rental unit passes a Housing Quality Standards inspection.  The housing inspection insures that the rental unit will be decent, safe, and sanitary.

3) The tenants’ portion of the rent does not exceed 40% of their monthly-adjusted income.


  • The Authority will verify who lives with you and all of the household income.
  • Participants must report increases or decreases in their income to the Authority within five days.
  • Participants must report people who move in or move out of their apartment within five days.
  • Both the participant and the Housing Authority pay their portion of the rent directly to the landlord.
  • A case manager will visit you in your home to assist you in solving the problems that lead to your housing emergency.
  • The case manager will assist by connecting you with services and resources in the community that will help you meet the needs of your family.
  • The case manager will help you develop a plan for stabilizing your housing situation for the future.


A Good Place to Live  [pdf]


Lead From Paint, Dust, and Soil Can Be Dangerous If Not Managed Properly

FACT: Lead exposure can harm young children and babies even before they are born.
Even children who seem healthy can have high levels of lead in their bodies.
People can get lead in their bodies by breathing or swallowing lead dust, or by eating soil or paint chips containing lead.
People have many options for reducing lead hazards. In most cases, lead-based paint that is in good condition is not a hazard.
Removing lead-based paint improperly can increase the danger to your family. If you think your home might have lead hazards, read this pamphlet to learn some simple steps to protect your family.


For information about tenant rights and rental laws, contact the Tenant Resource Center at Phone: 877-238-7368 or visit their website at  


On the fourth Wednesday of every month except December lawyers are available from 6:30 – 8:00 pm for a  15 minute consultation. No appointments are accepted and this is a first come first serve bases.


How much rent will I pay?
Basic 30% of income for rent and utilities

How many bedrooms can I have?
Depends on household size and composition

Why use gross income?
HUD requirement

Can I have pets?
Up to the landlord/lease

Why count child support I pay?
HUD requirement

Can I pay extra if rent is too high?
No, there can be no side payments. Rents on the lease contracts must be what is actually being paid. Side payments are considered fraud and grounds for termination.

Can I trade rent for work/services?
Yes, but the value of the work or services is considered income for the tenant and it must be reported to the Authority.  The income will affect the tenant’s portion of the rent.

Can I rent from relatives?

How long can I be gone from my unit?
You must report absences of two weeks or more to the Authority.

Who do I have to report living there?
You must report everyone who lives 51% of time or more than 45 days per year.

Can I sublet?
No. Subletting is fraud. Participant must use unit as their principal place of residence.

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer