Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option


The Program is designed to enable very low-income renter households to afford decent rental units in the existing housing market. The funding for the program is provided by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.  Chippewa County Housing Authority administers the program locally.
  • The Housing Authority determines families eligible for rental assistance.
  • Families select a unit in the open market.
  • Landlords screen the tenant to see if they will be a good renter. Landlords can obtain information about a tenant’s past participation in the rental assistance program, by submitting a written request to the Housing Authority.
  • Landlords decide if they want to participate in the program.
  • Housing Authority prepares the written documents for enrollment.
  • Landlords monitor the tenant’s compliance with the lease just like tenants who are not receiving assistance.
The Section 8 Rental Assistance Program is a three way partnership between the Housing Authority the family and the owner or landlord.



The housing authority pays rent monthly on the first working day of the month. Rent payments are sent to the Landlord via direct deposit. Landlords who did not want to use the direct deposit system can pick up their rent payments at the Authority office or provide self-addressed stamped envelopes for the checks to be mailed.  

Landlords are responsible to collect the tenant’s portion of the rent directly from the tenant.


The potential tenant will have the voucher paperwork or the Request for Tenancy Approval form.


Units must be inspected and pass the inspection before a tenant can be enrolled in the program. The Housing Quality Standards (HQS) inspection conducted by the Authority insures that the unit will be safe, decent and sanitary.  Units must be inspected and pass the inspection annually. Units will also be inspected at the request of the tenant or the landlord.  Landlords will be given a reasonable amount of time to complete repairs.

Please refer to the brochure “A Good Place to Live” for details about the HQS inspection. A Good Place to Live



  • Can I trade rent for work/services?

    Yes, but the value of the work or services is considered income for the tenant and it must be reported to the Authority.  The income will affect the tenant’s portion of the rent.
  • Who is allowed in the unit?

    The tenant and the landlord must report everyone who lives in the unit.  The names of household members will be included in the program paperwork and they must be included on the tenant’s lease with the landlord as well.  Anyone who is present in the unit 51% of the time or who stays at the unit more than 45 days in one year is considered a household member and must be reported to the Authority.
  • What if I decide I don’t want to participate anymore?

    There are provisions for terminating participation after the first year.  Termination requires proper written notice to the Housing Authority and the tenant.
  • Can a tenant who is receiving rental assistance be evicted?

    Yes.  The landlord maintains all of his/her rights and responsibilities under Wisconsin Rental Laws.  If a tenant on rental assistance violates the lease, landlords are encouraged to take the appropriate legal action.
  • How are rent payments made?

    Tenants pay their portion of the rent directly to the owner.  The owner is expected to enforce the lease if the tenant does not pay their rent.  The Housing Authority pays its portion of the rent directly to the owner.  Rent assistance is paid using a direct deposit system.  Landlords who did not wish to participate in the direct deposit system will be required to pick up their check at the Authority office or provide self-addressed, stamped envelopes for mailing.
  • Does the Housing Authority screen Tenants?

    No.  The Housing Authority determines income eligibility and monitors compliance with program regulations.  Owners must determine whether a family will be a good tenant, and monitor their compliance with the lease while they rent your unit.