Housing Choice Voucher Rental Assistance

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option


We administer the HUD Section 8 Voucher program. Participants pay a portion of the rent based on their income and the Housing Authority pays the rest.


The waiting list is approximately 1-year long from the date of application.


Pre-applications are available at the Housing Authority office located in Room #14 of the Chippewa County Courthouse at 711 N. Bridge Street, Chippewa Falls, WI 54729. Office hours are 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday thru Friday. Applications will not be mailed.  If you are physically unable to come into the office, arrangements can be made for a Housing Authority staff member to come to your home.  To request an appointment, call 715-726-7933.


Chippewa County uses a local preference.  In order to qualify for the local preference, you will need to show proof that you reside in Chippewa County.


  • Renter households must be low income. 
  • You cannot have drug related or violent criminal activity for the last three years.
  • You cannot be on the State or Federal Sex Offender Registry list.  
  • You cannot have a debt to a Public Housing Authority.

The total household gross income must be less than the following amounts:

Income Limits
# In Household Maximum Income
2 $29,350
3 $33,000
4 $36,650
5 $39,600
6 $42,550
7 $45,450
8 $48,400
  • Income is used for everyone 18 and over that lives in the unit.
  • Your gross (before taxes) income is used.
  • Gifts/regular payments given or made on your behalf are counted as income.
The amount of rent a participant pays is based on their income.  Generally participants will pay about 30% of their income for rent.Participants choose their own apartment.  You will be able to receive assistance in your chosen rental unit if:
  1. The landlord is willing to participate in the program, and 
  2. The rental unit passes a Housing Quality Standards inspection.  The housing inspection insures that the rental unit will be decent, safe, and sanitary.
  3. The tenants’ portion of the rent does not exceed 40% of their monthly-adjusted income.


  • The Authority will verify who lives with you and all of the household income.
  • Participants must report increases or decreases in their income to the Authority within five days.
  • Participants must report people who move in or move out of their apartment within five days.
  • Both the participant and the Housing Authority pay their portion of the rent directly to the landlord.
  • Rental units are inspected at least once a year.
  • Landlords are required to maintain the unit so that it meets the housing quality standards.
  • Tenant income is reviewed at least once per year and more often if their income changes.


Lead From Paint, Dust, and Soil Can Be Dangerous If Not Managed Properly
FACT: Lead exposure can harm young children and babies even before they are born.
FACT: Even children who seem healthy can have high levels of lead in their bodies.
FACT: People can get lead in their bodies by breathing or swallowing lead dust, or by eating soil or paint chips containing lead.
FACT: People have many options for reducing lead hazards. In most cases, lead-based paint that is in good condition is not a hazard.
FACT: Removing lead-based paint improperly can increase the danger to your family. If you think your home might have lead hazards, read this pamphlet to learn some simple steps to protect your family.


For information about tenant rights and rental laws, contact the Tenant Resource Center at Phone: 877-238-7368 or visit their website at   


On the fourth Wednesday of every month except December lawyers are available from 6:30 – 8:00 pm for a  15 minute consultation. No appointments are accepted and this is a first come first serve bases.


  • Can I trade rent for work/services?

    Yes, but the value of the work or services is considered income for the tenant and it must be reported to the Authority.  The income will affect the tenant’s portion of the rent.
  • Who is allowed in the unit?

    The tenant and the landlord must report everyone who lives in the unit.  The names of household members will be included in the program paperwork and they must be included on the tenant’s lease with the landlord as well.  Anyone who is present in the unit 51% of the time or who stays at the unit more than 45 days in one year is considered a household member and must be reported to the Authority.
  • What if I decide I don’t want to participate anymore?

    There are provisions for terminating participation after the first year.  Termination requires proper written notice to the Housing Authority and the tenant.
  • Can a tenant who is receiving rental assistance be evicted?

    Yes.  The landlord maintains all of his/her rights and responsibilities under Wisconsin Rental Laws.  If a tenant on rental assistance violates the lease, landlords are encouraged to take the appropriate legal action.
  • How are rent payments made?

    Tenants pay their portion of the rent directly to the owner.  The owner is expected to enforce the lease if the tenant does not pay their rent.  The Housing Authority pays its portion of the rent directly to the owner.  Rent assistance is paid using a direct deposit system.  Landlords who did not wish to participate in the direct deposit system will be required to pick up their check at the Authority office or provide self-addressed, stamped envelopes for mailing.
  • Does the Housing Authority screen Tenants?

    No.  The Housing Authority determines income eligibility and monitors compliance with program regulations.  Owners must determine whether a family will be a good tenant, and monitor their compliance with the lease while they rent your unit.